Happy Birthday to Me! | Utah Family + Senior Photographer | Whitney Beth Photography
I turned 31 on the 2nd. And you know what, I’m feeling good! I remember 27 was the hardest birthday – I was no longer just “in my 20’s,” but my late 20’s. Which felt so old. Ha. But honestly now, as I step fully into my 30’s, I am loving life. I’m loving who I’m growing up to be.
When I turned 29, (I was pregnant then too lol) I made a list of 29 things I was proud of myself for accomplishing. I really liked doing it and it brought so much grace and gratitude to getting older that I wanted to compile 31 things I’m proud of myself for doing this past year.
- Communication – It’s always been very hard for me to communicate my feelings or acknowledge them. I like to think it’s the “oldest sister” in me for taking care of others first. But this past year I have been better about voicing my feelings and not bottling things up.
- Danny and I continue to grow together and even though year 10 looked a lot different than year 1, I love who we have become.
- My growing business. This last year was my 10th year in business and each year I learn a little more and continue to grow.
- My projects! This last year I built a freaking pergola and I just finished some custom built in’s in my front room. I’ve always loved building things and the confidence that comes from it is addicting.
- Making mundane fun. I’ve been trying to make everyday life fun for the kids and I. Because, lets be honest, who actually likes keeping house and cleaning? But when we make it into games or I let the boys help (even if it takes 10x longer) it helps build memories and healthy habits.
- Experimenting in cooking. I joined a cook book club last year in the hopes of finding a love in cooking. While I don’t love it still, it is easier to do with more recipes tucked under my belt.
- More family vacations with just my little family. We did Oregon solo with the kids and it was the best.
- Rekindling my love of film photography
- I started lifting weights! This last year was the strongest and fittest I have ever felt in my life. I loved feeling strong and capable and I cannot wait to get back to where I was.
- I’m proud of my body and it’s ability to carry children. Even when I doubt and have spells of bad health (strep, allergic reaction to antibiotics, and kidney stones all within 4 months of each other) Im still doing it!
- My spiritual health has soared as I find ways to attend the temple weekly with Danny.
- I love serving in my local congregation and have put so much into my calling.
- I experiment more at photoshoots and rarely follow the same “shot list”
- My multiple appearances on Studio5! (Who would’ve thought I’d be a regular on TV?!)
- I have passed on my love of animals to my kids.
- I’m raising polite little boys. Remmy is so good at saying please and thank you and he’s not even 2 yet! Cutest thing ever.
- No more braces! This may seem silly, but I love not having them! Especially since the year and the half I had them on (While being pregnant) was literally the most unattractive I have ever felt. Ha.
- I started shooting more brands for companies I love.
- I gave myself grace in blogging and allowed myself time to rest to not get burnt out.
- I had a full client calendar last year.
- I took the boys on adventures even if it was hard or I was tired. Tried to be the “fun mom” more.
- Became a more confident business owner.
- Helped Danny pursue his dream of being a potter.
- I taught myself electrical work and installed a doorbell and new pendent light.
- Kept with the attitude of “I can do anything” and am hopefully passing it onto my kids.
- Threw some epic birthday parties
- Loved on my dogs – Especially Indy who had a rough year with another blown ACL and arthritis and who knows what else.
- Stopped caring what others think
- Made some amazing friends in the industry and small business world.
- Most of my clients now come from Google.
- I believe in myself.
So if you made it through that list, congratulations. You’re the real MVP. Honestly it was very gratifying to sit and think of all the things I have to be grateful for, and truthfully, I could go on! How amazing is that! I want you to do that for yourself, get out your notes app or a pen and paper and write down all the things you are grateful for in your life. It’ll be the best thing you do that day.
Thanks for sticking around here and all the birthday wishes. Love you!